it has come to my attention that i am a little left of center. or so says my friend tim. i’m not sure he means it as a compliment, but i will take it anyway. my uncle fondly recounts how i once proposed we have a dinner party where everyone brings a dish that they don’t like. i was a tad sinister, even at seven. with a new year upon us and resolutions of pounds to be shed resounding in gym locker rooms across the land, i turn my thoughts resolutely toward what sorts of mischief i can make in the kitchen. and by mischief i mean ever newer combinations of butter (preferably browned), egg yolks, and sugar. it's fun to scheme. i give you my recipe resolutions. i hope you will share a few of yours, but even more, i hope you resolve to cook. together. all the time in 2011.
things to make in 2011
1. tamales. a must! each time i eat a tamale, i promise myself i will learn how to make them. 2011…the year of the tamale.
2. thomas keller’s seven yolk pasta dough
3. my grandfather vernon’s oyster stew
4. mole in the oaxacan style
5. pho. recreated from memories of hanoi
6. homemade sriracha rooster sauce
7. ricotta cheese from scratch
8. chino’s corn cream from jeffrey steingarten’s it must've been something i ate
9. belgian style “frites”
10. superbowl, super spicy seafood gumbo from Donald link’s real cajun
12. abelskivers…those puffy danish pancakes i imagine my ancestors gorged themselves on.
13. butterscotch budinos from orangette
14. homemade marshmallows
15. momofuku’s cereal milk ice cream. recipe here.
16. perfect pie crust. coconut cream pie and banana cream pie come first.
17. homemade masala chai
18. watermelon agua fresca
19. curry powder
20. perfect sushi rice